what i learnt from model making

by teddy bear | 5:44 PM in |


in my design , I purposed to have double roof at one end because I decided to implement a man made movable solar panel into it. nevertheless , I faced the problem of jointing of roof. for a reference book , I found that there was a building – Church and community centre in Neu – A nspach is doing like that too with the second roof ( like the whole panel of roof being laid on the 4 main supporter ( I beam with column ). then tried to do that in my design too. unfortunately , when I cut the section , failed to show the supporter. panels are always questioning me the structure problem.
then , I tried to do structural model , see weather got other alternative ways to support my second roof.

while I exposing , I thought that the whole panel of structure can laid on the I beam but rupa – rupa nya….
1. seldom have some bigger size of panel of wood in market. all are in small small piece , so how am I going to support by as welded at two ends only ??
2. the span in my design is not coincide with the precedent studies I found. and It actually make differ. dimension of each material ( eg, metal ceiling ?, size of plywood 12x12 or 12x24? ) very important in the jointing we decided.

figure above shown the location of c channels ( pencils represented C channel)

how is it going to join my second roof?
1. supported by another set of column and beam like the typical roof structure but the only differ is it is lower , under the first roof and the column and beam is all visible.
2. hang on …
a. if metal ceiling just like the DML catalogue shown, then add on the c channel on top of I beam , then strip of ceiling can be tied on the C channel. the amount of C channel is depend on the dimension of ceiling.
b. if is wood , then put strip of wood like plywood would be more reasonable because it is very very expensive if use the whole panel of wood with long span.
c. it can be plaster ceiling too. hold by strip of wood on top .


I found that the typical solar panel is actually a massive and heavy structure and the supporter by a reference book ( façade construction manual – in psz library have) shown that used load bearing structure only can. so how I cope this problem?
in fact , the solar panel I decided to use is not in the market . haha.. is a new type of solar panel created by Zomeworks Corporation. they constructed their own solar panel and did the experiment. it is success in producing 15 A for each. below is the detail about the solar panel.
Passive Tracking Using Thermal Liquids
Present passive trackers consist of two copper tubes strategically mounted on the east and west sides of the photovoltaic panel, in areas of shading. The copper tubing is filled with a chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) or hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) compound capable of vapourizing at low temperature environments. When solar radiation exposure increases the temperature one side of the photovoltaic panel, the compound in the copper tubing vaporizes. As the gaseous state of the compound occupies more area internally, the liquid state of the compound is shifted to the heavier, shaded area of the tracker. This thermal process is controlled by the aluminium shadow plates. This mass transfer process adjusts the balance of the photovoltaic panel system, causing it to rotate to the west.


As the vapourization of the CFC or HCFC content shifts accordingly to the direction of exposure to solar thermal energy, the passive photovoltaic panel tracks the direction and motion of the solar radiation. The system remains in the western direction at times of minimized exposure to solar radiation, with a dependence on early-hour solar radiation in order to return to the eastern direction. Standard passive tracking systems also require infrequent manual adjustments for the north-south direction depending on the season, as the system is not designed in a dual-axis manner.

1 comments:

  1. nxum.hasrulnizam on January 9, 2010 at 5:17 AM

    this is good...i suggest u try other material like balsa wood/ or spray it with chrome color...since you want to bold the structure...

    + its always cool when designer come-out with scale model instead just 2d graphic...

     

counter

Chat here

Followers